The Taylor's TimelinePlease use the right and left arrows to see more.
TAYLOR’S OF TICKHILL 70 Years in the Market Place.
Eleven days before Christmas on December 14th 1946, Osbert and Bessie Taylor became tenants of an Off Licence and small food store at 9, Market Place, Tickhill. It was just after the end of the Second World War when food rationing was still in operation. The property was owned by Mappins Brewery of Rotherham, as was the Butchers shop next door. The living accommodation behind the two shops and the third floor of the property were pronounced to be unfit for habitation. Two years later they were demolished and rebuilt, leaving only the shop areas in their original condition and size. The Taylor family moved in to the accommodation.
During the first two years Bess worked on her own in the shop, whilst Os kept his job as a railway signalman. During this time the shop was refitted, the stock range was increased, refrigeration introduced and gradually the number of registered customers for the rationed foods increased, to the extent, that when the takings reached £100 per week, Os gave in his notice on the railway and joined Bess in the shop.
Local deliveries were introduced, first of all on a hand barrow, then the traditional `Shop Bike`, and later by Van, when they were able to afford a second hand Austin.
The small shop was extended into the rear storeroom in 1952 giving more display space for the wider stock range, which now included Fruit and Vegetables giving emphasis to local produce when in season from the gardens of Sandbeck, Hesley and Serlby Halls.
Prior to the family owning a vehicle, Os took the Bus to Doncaster Fruit and Vegetable Wholesalers and returned with the stock, which was placed in the luggage area under the stairs.
Business continued to prosper and in 1956, their eldest son Roy joined the family business. In the same year, Mappins Brewery offered the purchase of the freehold to the family as the Butcher next door was retiring from the trade. The offer was accepted and the two shops were made into one and the present shop front was installed. In 1958 their second son John, joined the business. The next extension of the selling area was in 1965, when the storage area to the left of the property was taken into the sales area. Self Service, a major step forward, was introduced and a Wine and Spirit Licence was added to the original Beer Licence.
During the ensuing years major housing development took place in the village and the family realised that to remain competitive with the rapid growth of the national multiples, their premises needed to be extended further. Consequently, the major decision was taken in 1972, to enlarge the shop to its present size, taking into the sales area all the downstairs living accommodation and gardens so as to accommodate a warehouse, preparation rooms and an office.
Christopher the grandson of Os and Bess joined the family business in 1981. John retired in 1998, and sadly both Bess and Os died in the year 2000. Roy and Christopher, assisted by their wives Celia and Julie manage this unique family business, supported by their friendly, loyal staff who are a vital and essential asset to this type of retail operation.
14th December 2016 marks the 70th anniversary for “Taylors of Tickhill” Seventy years of retailing is a tremendous achievement for any independent business. Taylor’s achievement is even more remarkable as during these years they have been part the biggest change in retail distribution that this country has ever experienced. From rationing with over the counter service, to self-service and then full product scanning. Online shopping is the latest challenge for the traditional high street. Taylor’s, now in the third generation of family partnership are committed to continue their trading in the Market Place with the same service, quality and friendliness which they been proud to offer and develop over the past 70 years.